14 February 2013

is giving out cash good?

The government has spent a large amount of money on scheme in which the poor are given cash in the bid to assist them. I consider myself as coming from this poor category and hence I know that receiving cash would make us feel so grateful (who doesn't?), and the best part is that we actually don't have to do anything to get it! Well maybe we just have to listen to some boring speeches, but it's worth it.

But really, is this actually helping us in a long run? Is giving out cash to people without having them to do anything a good thing? Is it healthy from the economy perspective? I'm no expert in this.

I just think that maybe getting them a job, or assisting them to get one or starting a business or something would be better. No?

The money spent on this scheme can be used for other things to benefit the poor and the rest of the people in the country.

What triggers me to write this is a news that I just read which says that the amount of the cash maybe will be increased if the current ruling political party wins during next election. It sounds like a bribe, no?

I'm not anti government. In fact I'm more of a pro government. And there are good schemes like book voucher and the assistance to improve small biz, are good and have to continue.

Even the opposition using more less the same method. When I was in Indonesia, the Penang government hold a dinner to meet, bond, and answer questions from Malaysian students regarding latest issues. And I remember one of the state minister was saying that they are trying to reduce the number of the poor in the state by giving out cash just so that the poorest have just enough income to put them out of the 'poor category'. hmm does it work that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment